March 3-4, 2014 Great Lakes Ballast Water Collaborative Meeting in Silver Spring, Maryland
October 7, 2019
On March 3-4, 2014, the U.S. Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation (SLSDC) and the International Joint Commission (IJC) co-hosted the seventh full-scale meeting of the Great Lakes Ballast Water Collaborative (BWC) in Silver Spring, Maryland.
The goals of this meeting were for participants to: (1) develop a better understanding of the U.S. Coast Guard’s (USCG) type-approval process; (2) discuss the enforcement of the Environmental Protection Agency’s (USEPA) Vessel General Permit and state 401 certifications and permits; (3) Discuss Canada’s regulatory environment as signatories to the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Ballast Water Convention (IMO Convention); (4) develop a better understanding of the status of the IMO Convention and recent issues associated with it; and (5) continue discussions about ballast water management system (BWMS) technology, development, and testing.
The Collaborative was formed to facilitate the exchange of information and cultivate relationships between state, provincial and federal regulators, the shipping industry, research scientists, and other stakeholders.
- March 3-4, 2014 Great Lakes Ballast Water Collaborative Meeting Report
- Great Lakes Ballast Water Collaborative Meeting Agenda
- Great Lakes States Overview Presentation (Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio)
- Sarah Bailey, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, “Research Update: Canadian Ballast Water Research” Presentation
- Danielle Chesky, Northeast-Midwest Institute, “Great Ships Initiative Update” Presentation
- Nicole Dobroski, California State Lands Commission, “Implementing California’s Performance Standards for the Discharge of Ballast Water” Presentation
- Richard Everett, United States Coast Guard, “Ballast Water Discharge Standard Final Rule” Presentation
- Phyllis Green, U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, “Advances in Freshwater Treatment Development” Presentation
- Colin Henein, Transport Canada, “Canadian Ballast Water Policy Considerations” Presentation
- Craig Middlebrook, Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation, Introductory Remarks and Welcome Presentation
- Chris Wiley, Transport Canada, “IMO Latest Updates” Presentation